blogging because.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

forget regret or life is yours to miss

Today was a strange sort of day.

Walking home from the subway I got to thinking about how all too often we define ourselves by what we aren't/don't have/can't afford/can't fit - whatever. This veil of negativity (likely brought on by the driver that made me get off the 44 South when I failed to present my student ID card with my metro pass... HELLO I AM ON CAMPUS NOW, CLEARLY I AM A STUDENT), like those before it, it managed to overshadow the great elements of my day. Why is that and what can I do to quell future rage blackouts? Be SMART.

Specific.
Measurable.
Attainable.
Relevant.
Timely.

This acronym, derived from my management strategies class, breaks down the framework for effective goal setting. At a glance this methodology seems quite straightforward, but in practice we are all dreamers and usually spend more time than we should fantasizing about greener pastures.
  
So instead of what if-ing until we are blue in the face, lets be realistic. Be pro active. Utilize the resources and capabilities of our existing environment to ensure success and growth. To know where you are going, you need to know where you have been...and when you know this, you will see how far you have come.

Be your best self.

No comments:

Post a Comment